Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Sharpening and knife related videos
Maintenance post #2
I just sharpened these two knives, from the same maker, and same series.  One with 180 grit, deburred.  The other up to 800 grit, then deburred with compound on smooth leather.  Pretty interesting difference.

Brian.
Liked the video. Nicely done on those knives, too.
Great video Mr. Brian.  It plainly demonstrates how even a very sharp polished edge can have difficulty cutting when a toothy edge performs well.  In your case the polished edge was almost twice as sharp as the toothy edge but still the polished edge slid across the surface while the tiny "teeth" of the toothy edge grabbed on, broke the surface fibers and cut well.

I'm sure there are some uses, like sushi slicing, where a polished edge is better.  However, at least in my experience, for general purpose knives toothy seems to perform better and last longer than polished precisely because of the slicing ability of toothy edges that your video demonstrates.

I posted the following a while ago about my experiences comparing polished and toothy edges when slicing rotten tomatoes.  The results were very similar to what you demonstrated so well with the newspaper tube.

http://bessex.com/forum/showthread.php?t...75#pid4475
Here are two microscope images I took of edges I sharpened.  Obviously the top edge is highly polished and the lower edge is toothy.

Let's consider how these two edges might perform in Brian's newspaper tube test.  It doesn't take much imagination to think of how the polished edge might slide on the surface of the newspaper tube while the toothy edge could grab the surface and cut.

Brian's video empirically demonstrates this hypothesis.
That was a well constructed demonstration  Brian and the best I've seen, to date, regarding polished vs. toothy. The video speaks clearly all by itself so I won't try to opine further. 

Just a great job and done in a very simple and succinct fashion. Thank you Brian!