Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Edge retention in high-end knives
Edge Retention in High-End Knives

Tests on high-end knives performed by Nathan Stuart – the all-Australian record holder of the sharpest knife in both non-kitchen and kitchen categories.
Formula of Nathan’s record = brains + persistence + quality sharpening equipment + sharpness tester.

The Testing can be watched on the Nathan’s YouTube Channel >>
This test cutting routine consists of 2 cuts across 80 gsm print paper, then 5 more cuts of the 80 gsm print paper, followed by sequence of 2 cuts of twin-core (double-ply) cardboard till the sharpness score goes beyond the forearm shaving range of 160 BESS.
Nathan selected the latter as a cut-off value for his testing, as the high-end knives stay around 200 BESS sharp for too long to be practical to test them further.

Added at the bottom are test data for a Victorinox professional boning knife NSF 6.6603.15, sharpened at 12 dps, to give a reference to the mainstream s/s knives.
Note that Nathan knives are sharpened at 16-17 dps (only the M4 at 13 dps), while I gave the Victorinox the lowest angle possible for this steel, to maximize its performance in the cutting test.

Note that at 200 BESS sharp the high-end knives last and last, unlike the mainstream knives 

[Image: Edge_Retention_High_End.png]
Numbers in the table are BESS measured on PT50B
http://knifeGrinders.com.au
I look at those numbers and wonder what the Rc hardness of those steel's were as 14C28N shouldn't beat VG10. Also with the amount of vanadium and niobium carbides in S110V it should beat every steel up there especially M390! I get the feeling some knife makers are leaving a lot on the table when it comes to hardness. I suppose the S30V's N is a typo?