Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
microbevel laser reflection
just a few examples of the laser reflection as I think I saw this asked on the Forum

13 dps edge with 15 dps microbevel:
[Image: microbevel2.JPG]

0.5 degree microbevel
[Image: microbevel.JPG]
http://knifeGrinders.com.au
Mr. Mike

Consider making us one of these devices -

The World is ready for one at a somewhat affordable price.

Rupert
KG, thanks for posting excellent examples of laser reflections from the blade bevels. Was the bevel and microbevel polished to enhance the reflectivity?

Recently I measured a new 5" Victorinox kitchen knife but I was not able to get measurable reflections from the facets of the cutting edge. The knife performs quite well, its BESS score was circa 220 gf.

Jan

(07-01-2018, 05:08 AM)Jan Wrote: KG, thanks for posting excellent examples of laser reflections from the blade bevels. Was the bevel and microbevel polished to enhance the reflectivity?

Recently I measured a new 5" Victorinox kitchen knife but I was not able to get measurable reflections from the facets of the cutting edge. The knife performs quite well, its BESS score was circa 220 gf.

Jan

Jan,

My two new Victorinox knives were very sharp out of the package - mid to high 100s.  I did not expect that level of sharpness.  Measuring the edge with the laser I got a smear not a refined dot like KG's pictures.  Looking at the edge with my cheap microscope showed a convex edge not very polished.

Ed K.
(07-01-2018, 07:46 AM)eddosedge Wrote:
(07-01-2018, 05:08 AM)Jan Wrote: KG, thanks for posting excellent examples of laser reflections from the blade bevels. Was the bevel and microbevel polished to enhance the reflectivity?

Jan

Jan,

My two new Victorinox knives were very sharp out of the package - mid to high 100s.  I did not expect that level of sharpness.  Measuring the edge with the laser I got a smear not a refined dot like KG's pictures.  Looking at the edge with my cheap microscope showed a convex edge not very polished.

Ed K.

Jan, Ed, "smeared" reflection is quite common telling us not only of a coarse finish but also of a poorly defined edge bevel line - the CATRA manual that comes with the protractor explains that in these images the edge angle is where the band of "smear" crosses the scale central line:
"Read the scale graduation where the reflection passes through the centre line of the beam around the scale."

Those my photos are of an edge with crisp bevels and microbevels on an edge set on #1000 and then refined with 5 micron and 0.5 micron abrasive.
http://knifeGrinders.com.au
(06-30-2018, 07:27 PM)Rupert Lucius Wrote: Mr. Mike

Consider making us one of these devices -

The World is ready for one at a somewhat affordable price.

Rupert

Why not build your own? Smile
Ed, thanks for sharing your experience.
KG, thanks for info about bevel refinement.

I use a DIY laser goniometer with straight scale which is a little bit more difficult to prepare then the Catra circular scale with simple angular graduation.

Important property of the straight scale is, that the non-uniform graduation makes it easier to distinguish bevel and microbevel for higher bevel angles.

Jan