Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Viel Conversion, Final Version
The original motor for my Viel was 1/4hp, purchased from Viel. For my uses, general shop odd jobs and scissors sharpening, I never had any power problems. The Penn State Industries variable speed motor I replaced it with is rated at 1/2 hp. Again, no power problems. Each of these motors cost considerably more than the Harbor Freight belt grinder, for just the motors. If someone really needed a 3/4hp motor, a larger belt grinder might be more appropriate. 

Ken
Yes Ken, Bob (Bubby) was at my place  earlier and before he posted and after we discussed your earlier post. The Harbor Freight motor most definitely says 1/3 horse on it. My Kally isn't with me to confirm but Grepper tells us that the Baldor motor is rated at 1/3 horsepower. Apparently different slide rules were used to calculate these two HP's because the HF is definitely a weak sister compared to the Kally. 
It could be just a matter of rated RPM skewing the HP ratings or it could be that HF has been overly optimistic about their motor's performance.
Borrowing a phrase from Mark Twain, HF would not be the first place to use “a stretcher”. I have always thought it was magic that my Porter Cable 3 1/4 hp router could be plugged into a standard 15 amp receptacle........

Ken
Very nice write up of Ken's project in Sharpener's Report. http://knifegrinders.com.au/dropbox/Shar...t_2018.pdf Nice job Ken! 

In this same issue can be found an article by KnifeGrinders describing their meat processing study. Great job KG as well!
Thank you for your kind words, Mike. With no false humility I must state that "The Viel Project" was a cooperative effort. While I did the writing, much of the supporting expertise and encouragement was from my fellow bessexers. Without their experience, this would not have happened.

Ken
Steve Bottorff just sent me an email to let me know that he has a new supply of the conversion mounting plates. These plates are head and shoulders the easiest was to do a conversion.
Attached is a link:

https://sharpeningmadeeasy.com/belt.htm

Ken
(05-24-2019, 04:57 AM)Ken S Wrote: Steve Bottorff just sent me an email to let me know that he has a new supply of the conversion mounting plates. These plates are head and shoulders the easiest was to do a conversion.
Attached is a link:

https://sharpeningmadeeasy.com/belt.htm

Ken

I thought I read somewhere that plans were available for the adapter plate this group came up with.  That Steve B is using to produce them.  Trouble is, I've received the sander from Steve's supplier and the PSI variable speed motor but not the adapter plate - yet.  I tried making one and it could work, but I'm likely to make a new one as there are some things I "learned" with this first one. 

Can someone point me to these plans, please?  I searched this thread but did not find them. 

Also, in messing with the plate I made, bolting and clamping things together, I found there is not means for adjusting belt tracking with the motor hard mounted to the sander frame.  That would be fine if the belt tracked well, but it does not.  I also found that by lifting the rear end of the motor, canting the pulley a little, tracking was improved - not completely right, but improved.  I also observed that the weight of the motor really pulls down on the rear of the motor.  Having that much weight hanging out there like that has to cause some vibration.  Has anyone actually noticed any such vibration? Has anyone noticed an adverse effect from the vibration? 

Finally, has anyone gone to the trouble of building in a means of adjusting belt tracking?  Given the design of the upper pulley assembly, with the spring loading, I am having trouble seeing a way to incorporated such adjustment to the upper pulley.  Building it into the motor/mount/pulley could be done, but it would take a much different mounting method that a fixed plate between the motor and frame. 

Several questions there.

Thanks,

Rick