Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
carbide grains on the edge
Saw this on youtube today.  As a wood turner there has been an argument about whether the tool cuts better with a course grind, say 80 grit, vs a fine grind such as 180.  Some think the saw tooth edge cuts better on green wood.   Anyway I thought you might find this interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWh1k8qpAR0
Interesting John and thank you for the link. Grepper's theory of sharpening gets another boost and this time from the Japanese. Makes one wonder if the most practical and durable kitchen knife edge might not be a very hard toothy edge. If it chips a little, fine. It might not look so good but its ability to slice might be substantially undiminished. We think that the relationship between toothy and sharp is an interesting one and worth investigating. A saw would be preferable to a polished edge in plenty of applications. We know that we would never consider shaving with a saw but, then again, we know that we prefer sharp saws to dull saws. Sure would like to get an edge sharpness reading on this guy's knives. We're going to guess, not so great but the edge sure seems to slice.
Hi John Lucas, welcome to the Forum! It's great to see you here. Smile I've been in the furniture, cabinetry and finish carpentry trades from an early age. I retired from residential and commercial construction to sharpen and make knives about 8 years ago.

Just to be fair, this isn't a sharpening technique. I'm not sure of the term for fixing carbide particles to the edge of a blade, but it isn't new. I've been using carbide coated blades for different applications of woodworking and construction for many decades. The jig saw, hack saw, circular saw and side grinder blades are obviously disposable, and I would certainly consider the advertised knives disposable as well. They aren't sharpen-able.

I think they would measure exceedingly dull out of the box. The edge thickness would probably not be less than 50 microns, and could easily be double.

Like Ginsu knives, they are more saw blade than knife edge, IMHO.
I also wondered how sharp it is, but mostly out of curiosity rather than thinking it might be too dull to be useful.

Sharp is great while it lasts, but sharp is very ephemeral at best. For things like cutting tomato or other items with smooth skin, a blade has to be super sharp or it just begins to ride on the surface. A polished edge sharp enough to melt through tomato skin just doesn’t last. It soon rolls, and it doesn’t take much roll, before it starts that annoying riding on the surface.

I suspect that those blades work quite well, but as they mentioned in the video they are plated with toothy and cannot be sharpened while still keeping the toothy, or as they call it “jaggedness”. I wonder how long they perform well before having to be sent back to Japan for replating.

An interesting idea and I have to applaud their quest for everlasting toothiness. It would be fun to have one to try. Thanks for posting that.