Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old sharpening methods...
You two men bring tears of happiness and remembering to my mind, reading your post -

When I visited the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan, I was surprised to see how many of the telephone tools on display I was still using. It is often easy to overlook the value of old non electric tools. While I am not adverse to new technology, I used a brace and bit throughout my career. Early on,  when we were using feeble, underpowered electric drills, the brace and bit was sometimes the only was we had to drill difficult holes. When you have to drill a 5/8” (16mm) hole through a log cabin beam, you soon learn the value of a sharp bit. A very useful tool we carried on the truck was an auger bit file. This was a small file with safe edges (no cutting grooves). One end had safe edges; the other end had safe faces. I bought a couple for home use. Lee Valley sells them Here is a link:

Here is another information link to the Nicholson file they carried in the past:

When I retired, I still carried and used the Yankee push drill in my tool pouch. The old Star drill, which we powered with taps from a hammer, was still in my toolbox, but rarely used. My block and tackle rescued me frequently, as did my crowbar. 

Today everything is battery drills. I used them, too, and was glad to have them. I was also glad to have my brace and bit for difficult work the battery drill could not handle. (By the time Mark's eighteen volt tools came along, the underpowered issue was controlled.)

I like using older tools. Using them reminds me of former owners, often my father or grandfathers.New tools become older quickly. Even the metric wrenches I purchased new in 1971 would be considered as older tools by some. 

Our present standard of living is in large part due to the craftsmen and tools of the past. Today we can purchase a high quality Morakniv for around the same cost as a large pizza. The pizza will be consumed by the end of the day, however, the Morakniv will belong to my grandson someday.

Today 90% of the population in industrial countrys lives in citys and I think that few percent of this group have a carpenetr hut - or space to use as a workshop. If they have space dor it - the space is small.

Todays tools are very handy, I have alot of them and enjoy them. They are easy to work with.
My wife talk me in to to build a workshop on our property (I hade then my workshop innthe basement). Well, I started to make up drawings. On a workshop 6X6 meters. My wife insisted that we needed a carport also - so I make new drawings with a carport and workshop. I show her the drawing and she insisted that we need a wood shed for all I say ok - but then I need to ba a lot of tools...and she accepted. Together we build a this "house" with workshop (isolated), carport,mand Woodhenge, 6X12 meters. Hard work - but it was fun. And I bought a LOT of tools and batterys for the tools - and my wife did not protested at all... Smile

I use similar files earlyer and files for sharpening saws and later also chainsaws. Usedul things when all tools was used by hand.

When building the workshop i use my knifes a lot and also my axes. I prefer the handsaw instead of the electric saws for smaller jobs.

Have we talk about King Tutanchamons knife? 3350 year old - made of iron from a meteorit - during the copper age Smile

[Image: 2hsar10.jpg]

So, for 3350 years ago King Tut used this knife - before iron was invented... If he uses iron from meteorits - other people can have done the same thing, perhaps. Never say never....

Meteorits can have been used as hammers and other tools, small pieces perhaps was used to make up fire...

Any way, it is a very nice knife, or dagger, nice design - and I so not think that this is the first iron knife they made when I see the design...