Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need the fulcrum?
We can measure the sharpness of razorblade without a fulcrum. But for knives, we have to use the fulcrum. Why?
Hello Sharpco. I think you would use the fulcrum piece to measure a razor blade but you can't. The razor blade can't reach from the fulcrum to the test media. The knife fulcrum helps to keep the knife blade straight up and down and just gives better control. I've measured all kinds of edges without the fulcrum but when I can, I use the fulcrum because it makes the job easier.
You beat me to the punch on this question Mr. Bubby. I was just about to answer when I saw that you had. The only thing that I would add is this. I widened the slot in the plastic fulcrum piece with a hack saw blade so that thicker blades fit down in the slot better. Took about 30 seconds to do.
I don’t always use the fulcrum. As long as the blade is square and plum to the media it works just fine. I just use slow, even pressure without problems. As mentioned, the fulcrum makes it a little easier.

I’m sure Mr. EOU will chime in with a definitive answer.
I handhold chisels and plane blades for BESS testing. This is not bragging; I would prefer to have a jig for them rather than rely on my hands.

Ken
We're chiming now Grepper. Ken just summarized it quite well. When feasible, use the fulcrum. Better control equals better results for most users. Grepper never met a 150 BESS, toothy edge he didn't like and most of his edges come right off the leather belt of his Kally at, or very close to that  state. Like DE razor blades, very sharp edges are relatively easy, with practice, to measure "freehand". Duller edges - not so much.

Here's a question for you SHARPCO and our question assumes that you are familiar with the terms and differences between "polished" and "toothy" edges. If you aren't just ask and someone on the Exchange will explain. So here's our question; What do you and South Korean sharpeners, in general, prefer. "Toothy" or "polished"?
(01-22-2018, 09:28 AM)EOU Wrote: We're chiming now Grepper. Ken just summarized it quite well. When feasible, use the fulcrum. Better control equals better results for most users. Grepper never met a 150 BESS, toothy edge he didn't like and most of his edges come right off the leather belt of his Kally at, or very close to that  state. Like DE razor blades, very sharp edges are relatively easy, with practice, to measure "freehand". Duller edges - not so much.

Here's a question for you SHARPCO and our question assumes that you are familiar with the terms and differences between "polished" and "toothy" edges. If you aren't just ask and someone on the Exchange will explain. So here's our question; What do you and South Korean sharpeners, in general, prefer. "Toothy" or "polished"?

Hello. EOU. 

It depends on the purpose of the knife. But what I can say for sure is that ordinary South Koreans like the low angle convex edge. They think that if it is not Convex Edge, it is not sharpened properly.