Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A new level of sharpness achieved!
I've finished test sharpening on Japanese wheel JIS grit #800, and overall results are worse than after CBN.
No matter what refining method I try, I can not get the edge sharper than 50-55 BESS, i.e. 0.1 micron edge apex width - the same as safety razors.
While after a CBN wheel FEPA/ISO #1000 I steadily get under 50 BESS, typically 30, in the vicinity of 0.05 micron edge - sharper than safety razors.

By SEM images, a stone JIS #1000 produces an edge width in the range of 0.5 micron, whereas CBN 0.1 micron.
In both cases there is significant variation in the apex width along the edge.

I used to see honing on paper and leather wheels as a means to even out, refine that edge, but didn't really expect to get it much sharper by honing. Luckily, I was wrong.
http://knifeGrinders.com.au
(12-01-2017, 04:33 AM)KnifeGrinders Wrote: Up to this day we used to add a band-aid with the company logo returning knives to the customer as a marketing gimmick.
Now I am thinking of adding a prosthetic finger Smile

i have used them for years and when working gun/knife shows they really get a lot of attention...........whole front of table is covered with them........ Smile Smile Smile  

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

<")))))<>(
(12-03-2017, 10:53 AM)KnifeGrinders Wrote: And don't forget the cutting board!
My quick test on the PT50 shows that 20 slices on a plastic, glass, marble and bamboo cutting boards reduce sharpness by 3 times, e.g. from 90 BESS to 270 BESS.

Of all plastic cutting boards, only the Japanese polyvinyl acetate Yoshihiro Hi-Soft cutting board doesn't dull the edge, but it costs a little fortune.
A good end grain wooden cutting board is the best, I recommend Acacia here in Australia.

any testing using HDPE or PP plastic boards or edge grain wood boards?  
end grain boards are a chore to make and crazy expensive to buy.  
wish you here in US, would like you to sharpen one of my knives.
scott